The trend of organic farming is on a boom in the market. There is a consistent rise in consumers' demand for organic products globally in the last 6 years. People nowadays prefer to consume organic products more often, due to their reliability of not being contaminated with chemicals and helping the environment too. Many countries all over the world are switching to organic agriculture. Uttarakhand is among the several states in India that are taking steps forward in promoting organic farming. With its clean intentions of developing organic farming, Uttarakhand has announced plans to do so in the coming years.
Scope of Organic Farming in Uttarakhand
Currently, the scope of Organic Farming in Uttarakhand is at its best since the farmers use the traditional approach to farming, i.e. rain-fed agriculture, without using pesticides or fertilizers. Along with the common farmers, the government is continuously taking active measures to make the state fully organic and enhance the productivity level along with this. The Uttarakhand Organic Commodity Board (UOCB), the state's nodal agency for promoting organic farming, was established to encourage sustainable development through organic farming.
The following pointers make it more evident that the future of organic farming in Uttarakhand is much brighter.
- Uttarakhand has officially certified 23% of its total land for organic agriculture but the government is determined to increase the certified percentage of land for organic farming up to 31% in the state by the end of 2021
- In 2019, keeping in view the prospects and scope of farming, the Uttarakhand government has approved India’s first organic agriculture act. The act states the penalties applicable if farmers used pesticides or any kind of banned fertilizer for their crops.
- It is considered admirable that about 40% of the organic farming done in India is done by Uttarakhand and the state sees a future of being the 'Fully Organic state’ in the next 5 years.
- The Uttarakhand government is all set to give a boost to the organic market with the help of Self-Help Groups(SHGs) that would be under government control to make the farmers aware of the importance of organic farming and help them enhance their production scale.
Future of Organic Farming in Uttarakhand
There is a long-term future for organic farming in Uttarakhand due to its numerous benefits to both producers and consumers. With the consumers becoming more conscious of health and sustainable development, the state of Uttarakhand is progressing by leaps and bounds for attaining a fully organic status.
- Farmers of Uttarakhand, in assistance with the Government, are continuously exploring the opportunities of organic farming.
- The government is converting particular districts under the organic criteria where the farmers would only be allowed to grow organic crops and the farmers are also welcoming towards this decision.
- The UOBC is trying to simplify the certification process for organic farming or crops in the state.
- Being a highly visited destination by tourists, Uttarakhand holds an upper hand in advertising their organic product through the word of mouth by the visitors.
Organic Product grown in Uttarakhand
The Himalayan state of Uttarakhand produces an array of certified organic products that are exported globally.
There is a list of organic spices, herbs, and pulses grown in Uttarakhand. Some of them are listed below.
- Glycine soja(Soyabean)
- Maize Corn (Mungari)
- Mustard (Sarson)
- Pigeon Pea (Tor)
- Kidney bean (Rajma)
- Ginger (Adarak)
- Pea (Matar)
- Kukam powder
- Pearl millet (Junyali)
- Jhangora Rice(barnyard millet)
- Mandua Atta
- Jakhiya Seeds